About NEN – Vision & Mission
North East Network (NEN) is a women’s rights organisation linking with women irrespective of their diversity and regardless of ethnicity, sexual/gender identity disability, culture and space.
NEN also connects to different civil society organisations on development and social justice issues within North East India. It was set up as part of the preparatory process for the Beijing World Conference on Women in 1995. In the 20 years since its establishment, NEN has become a platform to address women’s human rights.
NEN is one of the first organisations in the North East to combine activism with advocacy from a liberal feminist perspective, conveying critical gender issues through dialogue and dissemination.
NEN’s – Vision
NEN’s vision is to build a society in the NER that upholds gender justice, equality and respect for human rights.
NEN’s – Mission
NEN’s mission is to take forward women’s human rights through collective action by:
- Creating a culture of peace, both inside and outside the homes, through women’s active and informed involvement
- Strengthening women’s collectives, collective action and their leadership
- Increasing women’s representation in political, public and community processes
- Addressing discrimination and violence against women in both public and domestic spheres, and ensuring safer spaces
- Protecting the environment and biodiversity through innovative initiatives, by engaging youth and women.
NEN’s – Thematic Areas of Work
NEN’s mission unfolds into multiple thematic areas of work:
- Gender Based Discrimination and Violence Against Women (VAW): NEN uses multi pronged strategies with government and civil society to address and redress these issues through feminist trainings, policy advocacy, campaigns and action oriented research.
- Governance and State Accountability: With the concern that different categories of women in conflict and non-conflict situations get access to the justice system, as well as their entitilements, NEN monitors pro women laws, policies and schemes and enhances their capacities to participate in public processes It encourages proactive gender responsive budgeting too. NEN’s activism envisages the promotion and protection of women’s rights of the NE from local to global forums.
- Biodiversity and Sustainability: Inclusion, Equality and Protection: Conserving rich natural resources such as water, forest and land; promotion of community cohesiveness in doing so; strengthening traditional and indigenous methods of farming.
NEN’s – Area of Operation
NEN’s Head Office is located in Guwahati (Assam) with Branches in Tezpur, Assam; Shillong, Meghalaya; Chizami and Kohima in Nagaland.
NEN’s – Legal Status
NEN is registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, India. It is also registered as a charitable society under the Income Tax Act, 1961, and has obtained the required approval u/s 12AA of the Income Tax Act, 1961. The organisation is also registered with the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi, under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 1976.